Tips to sleep better
Here are 12 fabulous tips to sleep better and improve your overall wellness.
1. Get into a routine – go to bed and get up at the same time each day.
2. Take time to relax – take a warm bath or shower, read a book or listen to soothing music or a meditation recording, have a cup of camomile tea3. Avoid technology and blue light close to bedtime– we hear it all the time, but it really can help. And if you must use technology in the hour before bed, wear blue-light-reducing glasses.
4. Increase exposure to natural light during the day – this helps to regulate our internal clock and can help with vitamin D production in the spring and summer months when the sun is out.
5. Create a calm, restful sleep environment – keep your bedroom quiet and at a cool temperature between 16° and 18°C, reduce bedroom clutter, install blackout blinds and/or curtains, paint the room in restful colours and use lavender oil on your pillow as it has been shown to aid relaxation.
6. Eat foods containing tryptophan in the evening – an amino acid that converts to serotonin and then melatonin, the sleep chemical, in our body. Tryptophan can be found in turkey, chicken, milk (hence warm milk before bedtime), eggs, cheese, salmon, bananas and pumpkin seeds.
7. Avoid spicy food, alcohol and caffeine and don’t eat a large meal within three hours of going to bed. Sugar can also raise blood sugar and act as a stimulant making it difficult to get to sleep.
8. Avoid drinking any fluids late into the evening as this can lead to interrupted sleep if we need to get up for the toilet.
9. Exercise regularly – physical activity during the day supports sleep during the night.
10. Make sure your bed is comfortable and you have the perfect pillow for your size, shape and sleeping position.
11. If you can’t sleep, get up and do something relaxing until you feel sleepy.
12. If you still can’t sleep, talk to your doctor to make sure you don’t have a specific sleep disorder, such as sleep apnoea, restless leg syndrome or sleepwalking.
Want to know more?
Pro-Ven Probiotics aim to provide the best support for both you and your health. If you wish to know more about gut health and how this can affect your sleep, please do not hesitate to call us on 01639 825107 or alternatively, learn more via our blogs or in-depth proven research.
ProVen Probiotics, Unit 2 Christchurch Road, Baglan Industrial Park, Port Talbot, SA12 7DJ. Tel: 01639 825107