Exercising in the heat
For many of us, the summer months help to boost our exercise regime as we are able to work out outside in the sunshine…but the heat can also take its toll on the tempo and length of our fitness sessions.
Here are some tips to keep exercising in the heat:
- The first and most obvious – hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Drink a couple of glasses of water before you start, have a bottle with you and drink every five minutes or so, and have another couple of glasses when you finish.
- Exercise in the morning or evening and not between 11 am and 3 pm when the sun is at its hottest.
- Wear loose, lightweight, cotton, light-coloured clothes to help reflect the heat and absorb the sweat.
- Choose shady areas to run or exercise, to help keep the temperature down.
- Plan shorter sessions or lower intensity exercises.
- If exercising for a long period and sweating excessively, have an electrolyte drink when you finish replacing lost minerals.
- Keep track of how you feel – be aware of heatstroke symptoms and stop if you feel faint or sick.
Additional advice and support for exercising in the heat:
- Heat and exercise: Keeping cool in hot weather – Mayo Clinic
- 6 Things Doctors Wish You Knew About Exercising In the Heat – Mens Health
- 8 Tips for Working Out in the Heat – Penn Medicine
Want to know more?
Pro-Ven Probiotics aim to provide the best support for both you and your health. If you wish to know more about gut health, please do not hesitate to call us on 01639 825107 or alternatively, learn more via our blogs or in-depth proven research.
ProVen Probiotics, Unit 2 Christchurch Road, Baglan Industrial Park, Port Talbot, SA12 7DJ. Tel: 01639 825107