National Curry week recipe
This week (7th-13th October) is national curry week and here at ProVen Probiotics, we love our curries and the fact that home-made curries with natural ingredients can be really good for your gut.
To find out more about this great event, please click HERE.
Here is one of our favourite recipes – including some of the (gut) reasons for including them:
Gut-friendly coconut chicken curry
Preparation time: 45 minutes
2 tbsp coconut oil (medium-chain fatty acids are healthy fats that are more easily digested)
1 large onion, finely chopped (prebiotic fibre)
3-4 cloves garlic, crushed or finely chopped (prebiotic and anti-inflammatory)
1-inch piece of fresh ginger, grated (anti-spasmodic)
1 tsp turmeric powder (anti-inflammatory)
1 tsp cumin powder (stimulates digestion)
1 tsp coriander powder (gut-calming)
1 red pepper, chopped (fibre to support digestion)
400g diced chicken (lean meat for easier digestion)
1 400ml can coconut milk (medium-chain fatty acids)
2 tbsp flaked almonds (prebiotic effects)
3-4 handfuls fresh spinach leaves (fibre)
a handful of fresh coriander, chopped
1. Heat the coconut oil on medium heat and fry the onions and garlic until softened.
2. Add ginger, turmeric, cumin and coriander and fry for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add the chicken and cook for around 5 minutes until cooked on all sides.
4. Add red pepper and fry for another few minutes.
5. Add coconut milk and allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes to ensure the chicken is cooked, adding the flaked almonds and fresh spinach leaves for the last minute to allow the spinach to wilt.
6. Garnish with the fresh coriander and serve with brown basmati or wild rice.
Want to know more?
Pro-Ven Probiotics aim to provide the best support for both you and your health. If you wish to know more about gut health and staying healthy please do not hesitate to call us on 01639 825107 or alternatively, learn more via our blogs or in-depth proven research.
ProVen Probiotics, Unit 2 Christchurch Road, Baglan Industrial Park, Port Talbot, SA12 7DJ. Tel: 01639 825107