Summer is here and we are all looking forward to long days of sunshine and fun. Appreciating that school’s out for summer can bring so much joy and freedom too.
Vitamin D is produced by the action of sunshine on the skin, so the more time we can spend outdoors in the sunshine, the more vitamin D our body’s produce – just remember to cover up at the hottest times of the day.
Being outside also has the benefit of exposing our children (and us) to healthy bacteria to support the microbiome (gut bacteria).
And being in nature generally has been shown to help with stress reduction and relaxation.
School’s out for Summer and let the good times roll.
Here are 25 ideas for outdoor play to help you maximise time in the sunshine this summer:
- Go for a picnic
- Have a water fight – guns, balloons, squeezy/spray bottles
- Go for a family bike ride
- Take a football, frisbee, tennis set, baseball bat and ball or other games to the park and have a games day
- Make your own outdoor sprinkler – punch holes in a large plastic bottle, attach it to the end of a hose and hang it up in the garden. Turn on the water and voila.
- Fly a kite
- Visit the beach and have a sandcastle competition
- Go swimming at the local lido/outdoor pool
- Take the kids to the park and play on the swings, slide, and seesaw
- Go for a hike
- Have a nature hunt
- Go fruit picking
- Play a round of mini-golf
- Set up an obstacle course in the garden
- Play with bubbles
- Do arts and crafts in the garden – make potions, chalk on the drive, make wind chimes, do leaf rubbings, paint pebbles or rocks
- Jump on the trampoline
- Invite friends round for a barbecue
- Have a game of tennis, badminton, or swingball competition
- Work in the garden – kids can do tasks that are age-appropriate
- Build an outdoor den using whatever materials you can find
- Wash the car, bikes, scooters, and any other available vehicles
- Take the indoors outside – set up a camp with cushions, duvets, etc and play board games, read books, watch a film on a laptop, listen to music
- Camp out in the garden overnight – toast marshmallows and sing songs around a campfire in the night and cook a barbecue breakfast in the morning
- And if it is raining – make the most of the warmer temperatures and go outside, splash in puddles, and get wet
School’s out for summer ..
Other ways to engage the kids during school holidays:
- 25 Fun Activities for the family to do in the School Summer Holidays – Your School Uniform
- School’s Out / Summer Fun – Pinterest
Want to know more?
Pro-Ven Probiotics aim to provide the best support for both you and your health. If you wish to know more about kid’s health, please do not hesitate to call us on 01639 825107 or alternatively, learn more via our blogs or in-depth proven research.
ProVen Probiotics, Unit 2 Christchurch Road, Baglan Industrial Park, Port Talbot, SA12 7DJ. Tel: 01639 825107